Experience the adventure and romantic mystique of authentic African safaris of centuries-past at Gorah Elephant Camp, a luxurious tented camp in the heart of Addo Elephant National Park and a Hunter Hotels property. When you quietly observe a passing herd of elephant while being served tea on the verandah of a stately Colonial manor house, it feels like the stuff of dreams and legends – at Gorah it’s an everyday occurrence. This is an incomparable wilderness teeming with game, boasting Africa’s Big Five, the densest population of elephants on earth and the first ever private concession in a National Park in South Africa.
Near the Zuurberg mountain range in the dense, indigenous bushveld of the Sunday’s River Valley, the 14000 hectare fenced Addo National Park was proclaimed in 1931 to preserve the last remaining survivors of the once large herds of elephant that roamed the Eastern Cape. The incomparable thrill of This exclusive safari lodge recaptures the romantic mystique of authentic African safari of centuries past – the awesome natural world of Africa merged with colonial nostalgia and modern sophistication to deliver an unforgettably unique 5 star adventure. After exhilarating game viewing, enjoy sundowners on the old-fashioned verandah overlooking the waterhole, before savouring gourmet cuisine in the elegant colonial candle-lit dining room of Gorah House.
Sheltered under thatched canopies, each lavish tent has its own private deck offering a panoramic view of the endless savannah plains. The plush interior of the tent is enhanced through the simplicity and the authenticity of solar power lighting and ceiling fans. The en suite bathroom with bespoke vanities and shower is discreetly situated to allow for complete privacy. To complete the experience the tented suite invites you to completely relax and unwind with a book on the comfy couch, or take an afternoon nap on the king size bed, with 300 count cotton sheets enveloping you and sending you to dreamland.
Activities & Facilities
To experience Gorah is to get a taste of its history. Discover its captivating rhythm that calls for adventure and fills your soul with an intense passion for the ever changing landscape, the majestic animals and the cultural diversity.
- Game drives at Gorah, expertly led by passionate and professional guides are a testament to the safari of old. Intrepidly searching the vast terrain for animals is the essence of the experience. The excitement of discovering Elephant, Rhino, Lion and Plains Game in their natural habitat lingers long after returning to camp.
- Game Walks Guests can experience the unrivalled excitement of exploring the wilderness on foot in the timeless tradition of the early African adventurers, with walking safaris at Gorah. Taking a walking safari on the mighty expanse of the Addo National Park is a truly unique and unforgettable experience. Your expert walking guide will lead you on routes through the park teaching you about the land, the plants and the history of the park. Experience the thrill of viewing Africa’s wild animals at eye level and within close proximity. Our guides take your safety, and that of the animals, very seriously.
- An “Out of Africa” honeymoon is the quintessence of romance and luxury, it is what honeymoon dreams are made of. Gorah delivers on that dream from the moment you arrive, until you leave, relaxed, happy and in love. Honeymoon couples are treated and pampered at every opportunity. A bottle of bubbly in the tent on arrival begins the celebration, secluded candlelit dinners, romantic turndowns each night – every moment is about living the dream. The team at Gorah executes this to perfection ensuring that your time spent is filled with unforgettable memories as you start your married life together.
- Alternative activities that can be arranged by the helpful staff at Gorah include: Whale and Dolphin Watching, Canoeing, Cycling, Deep Sea Fishing, Scuba Diving and various sporting events such as The Iron Man Triathlon are there to enjoy. Outdoor enthusiasts looking for their next adventure are certain to find it here.
Accommodation & Rates
Sheltered under thatched canopies, Gorah’s 11 tented suites are luxurious and spacious, recalling the golden era of safari in the early 1900s. Each is enhanced with the fine comforts and excellence associated with Hunter Hotels.
- Each lavish tent has its own private deck offering a panoramic view of the endless savannah plains. The plush interior of the tent is enhanced through the simplicity and the authenticity of solar power lighting and ceiling fans. The en suite bathroom with bespoke vanities and shower is discreetly situated to allow for complete privacy. To complete the experience the tented suite invites you to completely relax and unwind with a book on the comfy couch, or take an afternoon nap on the king size bed, with 300 count cotton sheets enveloping you and sending you to dreamland.